When you’re finally ready to sign the lease on an apartment, chances are you’ve already gotten the answers to most of your major rent-related questions. Cost per month, and included utilities are all things you’d want to know before you get down to the paperwork, but what about the less obvious questions? While renting an apartment isn’t quite as big a process as buying a home is, it is legally binding, and there are still some really important questions you’ll want to have answered before signing your name. Here are 15 questions to ask before signing a lease so you can make sure you’re prepared.
1.What are the lease terms?
2. If the least doesn’t start on the first of the month, is it pro-rated?
3. What are the polices regarding breaking the lease early?
4. What are the rules for non-tenant access?
5. What are the rules about guests, if any?
6. When is rent due?
7. Is renter’s insurance required?
8. To what extent can the unit be personalized? Are you allowed to paint?
9. Is the security deposit refundable?
10 How are maintenance requests handled?
11. Does the unit currently have any damage?
12. What is the pet policy? (if applicable)
13. What is the lease renewal process?
14. How often are the locks changed?
15. What will you do to prepare the apartment before I move in?
Make sure that you are thorough and understand what you are signing before you sign it.